Yes, I swear. My parents will be ashamed that their daughter actually swears. The words rush out of my mouth while driving (currently on Bangalore Roads, but I guess that will happen on any road in our country).
Every morning I decide to be calm on the roads, not to honk, not to speed unnecessarily be patient. But within five minutes of being on the road, I loose all this determination.
The roads are absolute chaotic. No one following any lane discipline, no overtaking rules being followed, absolutely zero parking sense, talking on the phone while driving (though the usage of handsets has increased). The culprits mainly being the cab drivers, company buses drivers, public bus drivers, autos drivers, the cyclists, the jaywalkers etc. on the road. The situation is so bad that the moment I get on to the roads, I become like everyone else. It’s literally getting into the rat race. I get aggressive, not wanting anyone to overtake me, not wanting to give space to anyone. Why is there is so much impatience on the roads? Or is it something else? The other day, my colleague and I were discussing about this situation and the cause for all these. And we thought it’s the education, the minimum importance that we give to civic sense in our education. I remember being taught the way to cross a road (look right, then left, then right and then cross the road) and that ends there. What else is taught to the children these days ( I seriously don’t know the answer for that). But then again, is this something that needs to be taught? Should it not come from within us?
I guess, the traffic situation is the most visible thing about our attitude. We keep comparing ourselves with other countries and make a common statement – Our country will never change. When will we treat ourselves as a citizen and do something to change this?
I certainly think that it is entirely within us to change this situation on the roads. How? (Am taking a risk of sounding stupid here J ). What will people fear the most on the roads? I guess the fear of an authority. That already is in place in form of the traffic police. So where is the problem? I guess this authority is either not a strong one or not enough. I would go with the second option. The traffic police I guess are getting less corrupt and taking more effective steps. But I guess the number of traffic police is not enough to control the mammoth traffic on the roads. Why not we do something about this? Firstly, we as individuals have a discipline in our driving. Secondly, help out the traffic police by volunteering to control traffic at places with huge volume of traffic. People violating traffic rules – small to big violations should be fined on the spot so that they are not repeated again.
Whatever steps are taken, major responsibility lies on each one of us on the roads. If each one of us is disciplined, even if there is a huge traffic, jams and deadlocks on the roads can be avoided.
Saturday, October 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Ha ha ha .. I can understand the frusturation with which you wrote this .. Everyday I go through this... Some days it will be worse and I carry it to home/ office where ever I reach :)
If Bangalore traffic was good, this would have been a nice place to live in ..isnt it ??
yes sunaya, it certainly is.
but i think all my creativity is coming out by sitting in the traffic ;-)
I lived for 3 months in Bangalore in 2001. I loved the city. I felt the traffic sense was much better compared to Hyderabad. But now I keep hearing things like the one you mentioned in the blog.
I came to US in Aug 2001 and have been driving since then. I live in bay area California where there are traffic jams in spite of the several fly over’s and multiple lane roads. But the discipline is in place. Everybody follows the rules and hence I never swear :-)
It gets frustrating as such to be stuck in traffic for long time but attitude problems show up with drivers who do not want to give up their place. A little discipline helps. May be some of the people who drive regularly should start some sort of a traffic awareness program.
I am assuming most of the S/W employees own 4 wheelers. A group of 3 or 4 from a firm can start some thing like encouraging carpools. Here we are rewarded for carpooling by the organization we work for. Flexible timings can be helpful where some who can manage can drive during non peak hours and reduce the traffic.
I know these ideas are all easy said than done. But to resolve your problem to a certain extent may be you can carpool with some one. You will have some one to talk to and will not swear!
Hey thats whats hapng to all,lets make a resolution ofreaching out to everybody,a little change in all of us can make things happen the way u have dreamt of bangalore.I guess with u could do more than being a critic,no offence meant,i mean by this words.
hi kaylan, you are right. it first has to start within me and then expect things to change..
:-) no offence taken..
Hi myths...good expression of bad experiences... lets make a change...out here at hyd its no better. You need to hear it from my Dad. He is just too witty in framing out the traffic sense. my son says" orai horn enduku raa kodutunnavu...horn cheste mundu bandi vitthalachari movies lo laaga maayam ayipotundaa traffic lonchi.. abbabbabba.." this is probably child's expression on the same issue...
Post a Comment