Thursday, October 4, 2007

Reservation for Women?

A topic which is widely discussed and argued.

Reservation for women in all fields around (including the latest one – in parliament) is really a great thing. But do we really need it? I really don’t think so.
Is it not surprising that being a woman myself, I feel this way.

In my MCA class, there were 33 students of whom 9 were girls. Most of us were good rank holders. But believe me, there were many a situations where we were made to feel that we have deprived someone (a boy with a better rank) of studying in this prestigious institute. We were made to feel guilty about that. I used to get defensive during those days. But isn’t that the truth? A girl with a rank of 100 gets into a college because of the reservation, but a guy with a rank of 75 may not make it. Isn’t that sad?

Reservation as such is for the upliftment of the underprivileged. Its quite a nice concept. But in this case I don’t think it works.

In our country, how many girls go to primary school, how many continue high school, how many do their graduation and how many do their post graduation. Going a step further, how many do a job after all this? Agreed that the situation is changing in urban areas, but what about rural India?

So my point is, when there are not many girls/women in competition, reservation will only bring down the standard of an institute. If a girl/woman is really capable, she will earn her dues like a man does. Things should be done at the grass root level for the betterment of girl education.

I know of many cases where a girl gets a seat in an engineering college. The parents send her for studies for 4 yrs and then marry her off the moment she passes out. Why does she waste the seat then? Because an engineering degree is a very good match fetcher. Believe me, this happens. Think about what would have happened if this seat was given duly to a boy from a poor family background who scored a better rank than the girl.

When it comes to the reservation in parliament- I think this is one place where it should not be there at all. Because it will be here that it will be misused to the maximum. This reservation will fetch a seat to a woman but there are all chances that the woman’s husband/father/brother etc actually make use of the power. A leader has to be made from within, not from reservations.

A really capable woman will shine on her own. All she needs is the encouragement and the motivation to do that.

I really feel privileged to have studied in a good college (and that’s because of the reservation), but I know that I have denied a better student of the seat. This will always remain in my mind.

6 comments:

Anitha said...

Too Gud for a 1st blog..
Way to go!
Have read articles on reservations, where women demand for it..This blog potrays the other side..It will make people think twice.
Liked the line "A leader has to be made from within, not from reservations".
Expecting more gud ones like this :-)

Unknown said...

Hard truths...Only mytreyi can do this.. I know mytreyi is strong but she will never accept that...Hats Off...

Any listeners???

Being a largest democratic country (are we???), we should be loudddd enough raise the issues....

Sudha Naik said...

Madam ji, This is something wonderful. Always people fight for reservation and if we get something via reseervation we take it happily and live with this. Here you are talking against it. It shows the strength which you have it within. I liked it and I am also suporting it. Can we do something for this?

Madhuri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Madhuri said...

A good topic to discuss. You have made some nice points. But I do not agree with you completely.

The concept of reservation for women was started for a purpose but has been misused I guess. It still helps the rural people, the less privileged. I have seen many girls benefitting from the reservations and being sole bread earners for the family.

So I will not rule out the concept. But it would be good if it can be re introduced with some conditions. I do not see the need of reservations for women who do not care about education or the position they earned.

Regarding your statement about a leader has to be made with in - not all women are of that type. Some are average and they need external support to get on with their life. In those cases reservations are a big plus.

Mytreyi said...

hello madhuri,
thank you for the comments.

I totally agree with you that reservation was introduced with some purpose and that it should be re-introduced. one of the things that can be done is that reservation based on the economic background.

the statement i made that a leader has to be made from within - its purely applicable to politics. i dont think that an average woman is fit to be a leader. take example of indira gandhi, sonia gandhi, mayawati, jayalalitha ( i will not comment on how morally correct these women were/are) etc.
who have come up on their own

I said the women needs the right support for coming up. if you and I want to become leaders, it is purely within us. and the support of ppl around us. why do u and i need a reservation.